I was nominated for the Liebster Award twice in the past few days, so instead of writing two separate posts, I’m going to combine them. Ellie Sofia at http://elliethompson.wordpress.com/
and ptsdfrozen at http://ptsdfromtheinsideout.wordpress.com/
nominated me. I am so blessed to be Ellie’s blogging friend; her writing is powerful, her story is painfully and beautifully sincere, and she has a heart of gold. Thank you, Ellie!! I am also immensely enjoying getting to know ptsdfrozen because I feel like I very much connect with this woman (including her screenname!). Thank you, ladies!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
These awards often feel more like chain letters than awards. These are hard questions for me to answer, and the only reason I am doing this is because I want to recognize some of my favorite blogs for their posts and support. Through these blogs (and many others I am following), I feel slightly more normalized for the trials I am going through.
I Was Given These Questions
1. Who do you write for? I write to give myself a voice and an outlet.
2. What type of blogs do you like? I enjoy reading blogs written by people who are working hard to heal from mental illness, as well as people who are sweetly encouraging in their walk with Jesus.
3. What do you wish the world understood about PTSD?
A friend just asked me what PTSD was like. I answered something like, “It’s like I’m completely fine one second and then the next second I’m spiraling into a deep hole because of a stupid trigger. Then I’m fine, and then I’m triggered and I’m dizzy for days, I can’t breathe, and I am caught in visual, auditory, and body flashbacks of my past. It is completely unpredictable and leaves immense devastation in its wake. Sometimes I have to pull over while driving because I can’t trust that I won’t make an impulsive decision in the midst of the most random and uncalled for spiral.”
4. What would you say is the biggest passion in your life? I looked up “passion” to help me answer this question. “Strong and uncontrollable emotion.” Right now I have many strong and uncontrollable emotions but none are the result of passion. If I strip down every goal, behavior, and task, my underlying desire is to teach my children to trust in Jesus.
5. What are you most proud of? My children.
6. What activity makes you feel like yourself the most? Anything related to my job. During session, I am calm and easy to converse with. I feel normal.
7. If you could have a dinner party with 10 famous figures dead or alive, who would they be? I am changing this, because I couldn’t care less about famous people. I would choose to have a dinner party with finallyspeakingmytruth, Ellie Sofia, ptsdfrozen, 66amazon, pinneyl, teddylee01, mandy, Mariann Martland, ideationsms, and afraidtotell (amongst others, but these are the first that popped into my head)
8. If you could choose a different profession for this life what would it be? I want to be: a professor, therapist, and an author. I am already a therapist; in the future, I may still earn my PhD and become a professor; and I have written one book and am working on another, so I still may be published at some point! I don’t want to change professions, I just want to add to my career!
9. Describe your personality in 3 words. labile, caring, introspective
10. Name a person who has made a significant impact on your life. Truly, my husband. We constantly battle over both stupid and serious things, but at the end of the day we are still holding hands. We still touch feet while we sleep (because any other cuddling may or may not send me into a spiral). We still kiss each other goodbye. We still say we love each other. We still say goodnight. We still feel safe knowing the other person is in the other room, even if we are in a monumental argument over making our own toothpaste vs. buying toothpaste.
1.What is the best thing about you? My empathy
2.What time of day do you blog? Whenever I can catch a chance with my busy life. Usually first thing in the morning or right before I go to bed.
3.How many revisions does it take before you finally publish? 8-ish (this one is 14 and counting because it’s taking so long to write this post!)
4.Who is/was the most influential person in your life? See above
5.In one word describe yourself. Labile
6.Where do you see yourself one year from now? A year closer to feeling whole and calm.
7.What is your favourite social media? WordPress
8.What type of blogs do you follow? Those who struggle with PTSD and people with a strong faith in Jesus. I need connection to both worlds.
9.What is the motivating factor for you to blog? I NEED an outlet for this crap inside my head
10.How would you describe your blog content to someone who has not read it. See above PTSD question
11.What have you learned about yourself from blogging? I have realized that I felt so desperately alone in my symptoms before. I did not know a part of me needed this community of people who struggle with the same things I do.
10 Random Facts About Myself
I do not have the energy for this…
10 Questions For My Nominees
Pick any 10 questions above
Feel free to use either of the graphics for your post
She was the first person to follow my blog and has become an amazing friend and support. Her blog is full of beautiful insights, amazing writing, and thoughtful words.
I very much enjoy reading his blog! It seems rare to have a male perspective in the mental health world, and he’s a great writer.
Beautiful art therapy!
A favorite because her posts are very uplifting
The Official Rules Of The Liebster Award
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
1. thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”.
3. answer 10 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
4. provide 10 random facts about yourself.
5. nominate up to 10 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers.
6. create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
7. list these rules in your post . Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
8. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it